I decided to revive The Shoe Box, a “display case” for showcasing personal collection items that do not fit in my rookie card, autograph or set vaults.
Up first is a card I obtained during the 2006 season, a records-breaking (yes, plural) season for one of my favorite football players: LaDainian Tomlinson. During this season, LT:
- Scored 186 points, breaking Paul Hornung’s previous record of 176 points in 1960 (12-game season)
- Scored 31 touchdowns – 28 rushing and 3 receiving – breaking the previous record of 28 which was set by Seattle Seahawks running back, Shaun Alexander, in 2005
- Threw 2 touchdown passes – 1 each to Brandon Manumaleuna (vs. Kansas City Chiefs) and Antonio Gates (vs. Oakland Raiders)
- Received his 4th Pro Bowl selection and 3rd First-Team All-Pro selection
- Was named the League’s Offensive Player of the Year and Most Valuable Player
I understand it bears no ink and contains no relics, but I was surprised at how cheap I was able to add this card to my collection given (1) the card’s small print run (#ed /49) and (2) how much people were spending on any and all of LT’s cards.